[Python-Dev] Add a frozendict builtin type

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Thu Mar 1 01:02:26 CET 2012

On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 10:13:01 +1100, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It would (apparently) help Victor to fix issues in his pysandbox
> > project. I don't know if a secure Python sandbox is an important
> > enough concept to warrant core changes to make it possible.
>
> If a secure Python sandbox had been available last year, we would
> probably be still using Python at work for end-user scripting, instead
> of having had to switch to Javascript. At least, that would be the
> case if this sandbox is what I think it is (we embed a scripting
> language in our C++ main engine, and allow end users to customize and
> partly drive our code). But features enabling that needn't be core; I
> wouldn't object to having to get some third-party add-ons to make it
> all work.

I likewise am aware of a project where the availability of sandboxing
might be make-or-break for continuing to use Python.  In this case
the idea would be sandboxing plugins called from a Python main program.
I *think* that Victor's project would enable that, but I haven't looked at
it closely.

--David