[Python-Dev] Status of packaging in 3.3

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Sat Jun 23 13:13:23 CEST 2012

On 06/23/2012 12:37 PM, Lennart Regebro wrote:
> Why do I get the feeling that most people who hate distutils and want
> to replace it, has transferred those feelings to distutils2/packaging,
> mainly because of the name?
>
> In the end, I think this discussion is very similar to all previous
> packaging/building/installing discussions: There is a lot of emotions,
> and a lot of willingness to declare that "X sucks" but very little
> concrete explanation of *why* X sucks and why it can't be fixed.

I think David has been pretty concrete in a lot of his criticism too
(though he has refrained from repeating himself too much in this
thread). Some of the criticism is spelled out here:

http://bento.readthedocs.org/en/latest/faq.html

This blog post is even more concrete (but perhaps outdated?):

http://cournape.wordpress.com/2010/10/13/271/

As for me, I believe I've been rather blunt and direct in my criticism
in this thread: It's been said by Tarek that distutils2 authors that
they don't know anything about compilers. Therefore it's almost
unconceivable to me that much good can come from distutils2 *for my
needs*. Even if packaging and building isn't the same, the two issues do
tangle at a fundamental level, *and* most existing solutions already out
there (RPM, MSI..) distribute compiled software and therefore one needs
a solid understanding of build processes to also understand these tools
fully and draw on their experiences and avoid reinventing the wheel.

Somebody with a deep understanding of 3-4 existing build systems and
long experience in cross-platform builds and cross-architecture builds
would need to be on board for me to take it seriously (even the
packaging parts). As per Tarek's comments, I'm therefore pessimistic
about the distutils2 efforts.

(You can always tell me that I shouldn't criticise unless I'm willing to
join and do something about it. That's fair. I'm just saying that my
unwillingness to cheer for distutils2 is NOT based on the name only!)

Dag