[Python-Dev] A Desperate Plea For Introspection (aka: BDFAP Needed)

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Fri Jun 22 21:32:34 CEST 2012

On 06/22/2012 12:21 PM, Christian Heimes wrote:
> The PEP is already complex enough and went to several incarnations. It
> was a wise decision to focus on the features that could be implemented
> before the first beta is released. Kudos for pulling it off, Larry!

Guys, guys!  I have done next-to-nothing on this PEP.  Yury has
absolutely been the one driving it since it rose from the dead this
year.  All the kudos should be addressed to him.

The only feature I contributed is the one everyone savagely *hated* (the
"is_implemented" attribute).  That was taken out and shot last week.  ;-)

> Signatures for builtin functions should be handled by a new PEP. We need
> a way to extract or define the signatures (perhaps parse the C code and
> parse PyArg_* signatures) and a secure way to store the signature
> (perhaps implement the signature class in C?). That's a LOT of work.

I'm growing something for 3.4; I hope to preview it in the next month or
two.

Does it really need a new PEP, though?  It's an implementation detail
for CPython; it shouldn't affect Python-level interfaces one jot.  It's
essentially a replacement for PyArg_ParseTupleAndKeywords()... I didn't
think that merited a PEP.

Cheers,

//arry/