[Python-Dev] backporting stdlib 2.7.x from pypy to cpython

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Jun 11 21:35:27 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Jeff Hardy <jdhardy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 8:28 AM, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Nick's option 2 would be an improvement, but I imagine that option 3
> > would have been the most effective by far.  Of course, the key thing
> > is how closely the various implementors would follow the new list.
> > Only they could say, though Frank Wierzbicki seemed positive about it.
>
> This has come up a couple of times recently (discussions on PEP 421
> and PEP 405), so I think it would be worth while. I don't have the
> time to track all of the different proposals that are in flux; it
> would be nice to know when they're "done" and just need a sanity check
> to make sure everything will work for other implementations.

Yes, perhaps if the list were *just* a place to cc: in or send a heads-up
to python-dev discussions, and not to have actual list discussions per se,
that would do the trick.

IOW, the idea is, "If you're a contributor to a non-CPython implementation,
subscribe here to get a heads-up on Python-Dev discussions you should be
following."  Not, "here's a list to discuss Python implementations in
general", and definitely not a place to *actually conduct discussions* at
all: the only things ever posted there should be cc:'d from or to
Python-Dev, or be pointers to Python-Dev threads.

That way, we'd have a solution for the periodic, "hmm, we should get other
implementations to weigh in on this thread" problem, that wouldn't actually
divide the discussion.  Instead, we'd have a "Bat Signal" (Snake Signal?)
to bring the other heroes in to meet with Commissioner Guido.  ;-)