[Python-Dev] PEP 362 Second Revision

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Jun 7 21:54:36 CEST 2012

On 6/7/2012 10:41 AM, Yury Selivanov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The new revision of PEP 362 has been posted:
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0362/
>
> Thanks to Brett, Larry, Nick, and everybody else on python-dev
> for your corrections/suggestions.
>
> Summary of changes:
>
> 1. We don't cache signatures in __signature__ attribute implicitly
>
> 2. signature() function is now more complex, but supports methods,
> partial objects, classes, callables, and decorated functions
>
> 3. Signatures are always constructed on demand
>
> 4. Dropped the deprecation section

I like this now. Being more able to get the actual signature of partials
and wraps will be a win. If the signature object has a decent
__str__/__repr__ method, I would (try to remember) to revise idle
tooltips (for whichever version) to check for .__signature__ before
inspect'ing.

--
Terry Jan Reedy