[Python-Dev] A new JIT compiler for a faster CPython?

Jeffrey Yasskin jyasskin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 17:59:34 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Victor Stinner
<victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's the JIT compiler of Unladen Swallow that "failed"; in
>> my understanding because LLVM is crap (i.e. it is slow, memory-consuming,
>> and buggy) - as a low-level virtual machine; it may be ok as a compiler
>> backend (but I still think it is buggy there as well).
>
> What is the status of LLVM nowadays? Is it not a good solution to
> write a portable JIT?

Its code generator is still fairly slow. You could probably get a
faster one committed, but you'd have to write it. LLVM also still
doesn't have great profile-guided optimizations (what you need in a
JIT), although the infrastructure is starting to be built. You'd
probably have to contribute to that too. It's probably a better use of
your time to contribute to PyPy.

Jeffrey