[Python-Dev] PEP 408 -- Standard library __preview__ package

Hynek Schlawack hs at ox.cx
Sat Jan 28 15:07:00 CET 2012

Hi,

Am 27.01.2012 um 18:26 schrieb Alex:

> I'm -1 on this, for a pretty simple reason. Something goes into __preview__,
> instead of it's final destination directly because it needs feedback/possibly
> changes. However, given the release cycle of the stdlib (~18 months), any
> feedback it gets can't be seen by actual users until it's too late. Essentially
> you can only get one round of stdlib.
>
> I think a significantly healthier process (in terms of maximizing feedback and
> getting something into it's best shape) is to let a project evolve naturally on
> PyPi and in the ecosystem, give feedback to it from an inclusion perspective,
> and then include it when it becomes ready on it's own merits. The counter
> argument to  this is that putting it in the stdlib gets you signficantly more
> eyeballs (and hopefully more feedback, therefore), my only response to this is:
> if it doesn't get eyeballs on PyPi I don't think there's a great enough need to
> justify it in the stdlib.

I agree with Alex on this: The iterations – even with PEP 407 – would be wayyy too long to be useful.

As for the only downside: How about endorsing certain pypi projects as possible future additions in order to give them more exposure? I'm sure there is some nice way for that.

Plus: Everybody could pin the version their code depends on right now, so updates wouldn't break anything. I.e. api users would have more peace of mind and api developers could develop more aggressively.

Bye,
-h