[Python-Dev] PEP 414 - Unicode Literals for Python 3

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Feb 27 22:54:51 CET 2012

>> I just don't understand the pushback here at all.  This is such a
>> nobrainer.

> I agree. Just let's start deprecating it too, so that once Python 2.x
> compatibility is no longer relevant we can eventually stop supporting
> it (though that may have to wait until Python 4...). We need to send
> *some* sort of signal that this is a compatibility hack and that no
> new code should use it. Maybe a SilentDeprecationWarning?

Before we make this change, I would like to know if this is Armin's last
proposal to revert Python 3 toward Python 2 or merely the first in a
series. I question this because last December Armin wrote

"And in my absolutely personal opinion Python 3.3/3.4 should be more
like Python 2* and Python 2.8 should happen and be a bit more like
Python 3."
* he wrote '3' but obviously means '2'.
http://lucumr.pocoo.org/2011/12/7/thoughts-on-python3/

Chris has also made it clear that he (also?) would like more reversions.

--
Terry Jan Reedy