[Python-Dev] Marking packaging-related PEPs as Finished after fixing some bugs in them

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Feb 27 13:52:51 CET 2012

On Feb 27, 2012, at 11:40 AM, Éric Araujo wrote:

>  They’re all implemented in packaging/distutils2.  Sadly, all of them
>have rather serious issues, so I wanted to ask what the process should
>be to solve the problems and mark the PEPs final.

From a process point of view, I'd say you should fix the PEP issues you know
about, and publish new versions, updating the Post-History field.  These PEPs
were written before the BDFOP/Czar policy came about, so why not see if you
can find someone acceptable to Guido (or maybe suggested by him) to pronounce
on the PEPs.  Then, if the BDFOP agrees you can mark them Final, since I think
they almost are, effectively.

Marking them Final doesn't mean they can't be updated if you find some issues
with them later.  You and the BDFOP might decide to defer Final acceptance
until the bugs in the implementations are fixed though.

Cheers,
-Barry