[Python-Dev] Add a new "locale" codec?

And Clover and-dev at doxdesk.com
Wed Feb 8 11:25:07 CET 2012

On 2012-02-08 09:28, Simon Cross wrote:
> I think I'm -1 on a "locale" encoding because it refers to different
> actual encodings depending on where and when it's run, which seems
> surprising, and there's already a more explicit way to achieve the
> same effect.

I'd agree that this is undesirable, and I don't really want
locale-specific behaviour to leak out in other places that accept a
encoding name (eg <?xml encoding="locale"?>), but we already have this
behaviour with the "mbcs" encoding on Windows which refers to the
locale-specific 'ANSI' code page.

--
And Clover
mailto:and at doxdesk.com