[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] cpython (3.3): Issue #16641: Fix default values of sched.scheduler.enter arguments were

Eli Bendersky eliben at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 22:44:14 CET 2012

> >         Executing the event means executing ``action(*argument,
> **kwargs)``.
> >     -   *argument* must be a sequence holding the parameters for
> *action*.
> >     -   *kwargs* must be a dictionary holding the keyword parameters for
> *action*.
> >     +   Optional *argument* argument must be a sequence holding the
> parameters
> >     +   for *action* if any used.
> >     +   Optional *kwargs* argument must be a dictionary holding the
> keyword
> >     +   parameters for *action* if any used.
> >

> > I don't see how this change improves the documentation. To keep the
> grammar
> > correct and just state that the arguments are optional, I would simply
> replace
> > "must be" by "is". For example:
> >
> >   *argument* is a sequence holding the parameters for *action*.
> >
> > This is short, and since the function signature clearly shows that
> argument has
> > a default value, I think it conveys the meaning it should.
>
> Hi Eli,
>
> I'm sure we non-native speakers are fine with any improvements you can make
> during commit review.
>
> Georg

Georg,

I also wrote a private email to Serhiy proposing to help, but since you
brought this up here: I think that my comment was constructive. What should
have I done differently? Go ahead and modify the phrasing in a separate
commit? I see a couple of problems with that:

1. It can be somewhat disrespectful to a new committer, and I wanted to
reach a consensus first.
2. Serhiy diligently committed this into 3 or 4 different Python branches.
With all due respect, going through the merge/push dance is far above the
effort I'm willing to invest in this.

Eli

P.S. I would argue that you are more native-speaker than myself w.r.t.
English :-)