[Python-Dev] Draft PEP for time zone support.

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Dec 13 00:23:37 CET 2012

On 12/12/2012 11:53 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Bingo. As long as the recipe to update is clear, most users can ignore
> this, because the countries about which they care don't change DST
> rules often enough for it to matter. When it does matter, they'll know
> (changing the DST rules is something that local news sources tend to
> track :-) and they can update their software when stuff they use
> starts getting the time wrong. Obviously sysadmins responsible for
> large numbers of users can make this into a routine, and ditto people
> who run services. But these folks are professionals and are good at
> automating tasks like this.

As a Windows user, I would like there to be one tz data file used by all
Python versions on my machine, including ones included with other apps.
I would like every installer, including for bug fix releases, to update
it. This should be sufficient for 99% of Windows users. As Guido says
above, the docs should tell the other 1% how to update it explicitly.

--
Terry Jan Reedy