[Python-Dev] Keyword meanings [was: Accept just PEP-0426]

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Dec 10 02:48:02 CET 2012

PJ Eby writes:

 > That being said, I don't object to having the ability for either of
 > them to do so: the utility of the field is *much* enhanced once its
 > connection to installation tools is gone, since a wider variety of
 > issues can be described without inconveniencing users.

+1 to "describing".  A metadata format should not specify tool
behavior, and should use behavior-neutral nomenclature.  Rather, use
cases that seem probable or perhaps wrong-headed should inform the
design.  Nevertheless, actual decisions about behavior should be left
to the tool authors.

 > This is a good example of what I meant about clear thinking on
 > concrete use cases, vs. simply copying fields from distro tools.  In
 > the distro world, these kinds of fields reflect the *results* of
 > research and decision-making about compatibility.  Whereas, in our
 > "upstream" world, the purpose of the fields is to provide downstream
 > repackagers and integrators with the source materials for such
 > research.

I agree with the meaning of the above paragraph, but would like to
dissociate myself from the comparison implied by the expression "clear
thinking".  AFAICS, it's different assumptions about use cases that
drives the difference in prescriptions here.