[Python-Dev] Edits to Metadata 1.2 to add extras (optional dependencies)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Aug 28 20:19:08 CEST 2012

Am 28.08.12 19:15, schrieb Oleg Broytman:
 >> The RFC database itself has expiration dates on specifications,
 >> namely on I-D documents (internet drafts). The expire 6 months
 >> after their initial publication, unless renewed.
 >
 >     Does that expiration mean something?

It's explained in RFC 2026. An internet draft is not an internet
standard, it may get changed at any time. An I-D which is expired
and still used has the same relevance as a proprietary standard;
it has nothing to do with the internet standards process.

Whether this has any practical consequence depends on the market,
of course. Customers that insist on standards compliance will look
for RFC compliance, but typically not for I-D compliance. If the
field of standardization is of relevance for such users, they will
eventually ask for an RFC to be issued, which then may or may not
be compatible with a long-standing proprietary standard.

Regards,
Martin