[Python-Dev] [compatibility-sig] do all VMs implement the ast module? (was: Re: AST optimizer implemented in Python)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Aug 13 23:27:28 CEST 2012

> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 1:05 PM,fwierzbicki at gmail.com
> <fwierzbicki at gmail.com>  wrote:

> [Jython]
>> >2.5+ contains an ast.py that I obsessively compared to CPython's 2.5
>> >ast.py.
> But CPython's ast.py contains very little code -- it's all done in ast.c.
>
> Still, I'm glad you are actually considering this a cross-language
> feature, and I will gladly retract my warning. (Still, I don't know if
> it is subject to the usual backward compatibility constraints.)

I should have quoted a bit more. After the first sentence
"The ast module helps Python applications to process trees of the Python
abstract syntax grammar."
the next sentence is
"The abstract syntax itself might change with each Python release; this
module helps to find out programmatically what the current grammar looks
like."

The 'current grammar' is given in 30.2.2. Abstract Grammar.

--
Terry Jan Reedy