[Python-Dev] PEP 418 glossary

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 01:36:17 CEST 2012

By the way, I hesitate to add a new mandatory key to
time.get_clock_info() which indicates if the clock includes time
elapsed during a sleep. Is "is_realtime" a good name for such flag?
Examples:

time.get_clock_info('time')['is_realtime'] == True
time.get_clock_info('monotonic')['is_realtime'] == True
time.get_clock_info('process_time')['is_realtime'] == False
time.get_clock_info('clock')['is_realtime'] == True on Windows, False on Unix
time.get_clock_info('perf_counter')['is_realtime'] == True on Windows
and GNU/Hurd (which will use gettimeofday()), False on Unix. It may
vary depending on which clocks are available.

Another candidate for a new optional key is a flag indicating if the
clock includes time elapsed during system suspend. I don't know how to
call such key. Let's call it "include_suspend". Examples:

time.get_clock_info('time')['include_suspend'] == True
time.get_clock_info('monotonic')['include_suspend'] == True on
Windows, False on Mac OS X, Linux and FreeBSD
time.get_clock_info('perf_counter')['include_suspend'] == False on Mac
OS X, Linux and FreeBSD. It is not set on Windows, until someone tells
me how QueryPerformanceCounter() behaves on suspend :-)
time.get_clock_info('process_time')['include_suspend'] == ??? (not set?)
time.get_clock_info('clock')['include_suspend'] == ??? (not set?)

Victor