[Python-Dev] range objects in 3.x

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 23:06:44 CEST 2011

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 08:13:11 -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> I expect that to implement a version worthy of the stdlib math module,
> i.e. that computes values that are correct within 0.5ULP under all
> circumstances (e.g. lots of steps, or an end point close to the end of
> the floating point range) we'd need a numerical wizard like Mark
> Dickinson or Tim Peters (retired). Or maybe we could just borrow numpy's
> code.

+1 to using the numpy api, having continuity of API between the two would
be great (people work interactively with 'from numpy import *', so having
the linspace() call continue to work identically would be a bonus).

License-wise there shouldn't be major issues in using the numpy code, as
numpy is all BSD.  Hopefully if there are any, the numpy community can
help out.  And now that Mark Dickinson is at Enthought (http://
enthought.com/company/developers.php) where Travis Oliphant --numpy
author-- works, I'm sure the process of ironing out any implementation/api
quirks could be handled easily.

Cheers,