[Python-Dev] Windows 8 support

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Sep 14 22:41:49 CEST 2011

> Another question is whether Python can take advantage of WinRT (the
> new UI framework). It should be possible, as the new APIs were
> designed to be used from dynamic languages, but I haven't decided if
> I'm crazy enough to try it.

Python doesn't do GUI on its own, so the direct answer to this question
is "no, it can't take advantage of WinRT".

Of course, people might start writing Python wrappers for WinRT,
possibly leading to a PyRT package. Alternatively, wxWindows might
start using WinRT, which would automatically expose it to wxPython
applications. Likewise, Tk might integrate support for WinRT, in
which case IDLE might make use of it out of the box.

Regards,
Martin