[Python-Dev] Promoting Python 3 [was: PyPy 1.7 - widening the sweet spot]

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Nov 23 13:21:28 CET 2011

Dirkjan Ochtman writes:
 > On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 17:41, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
 > > This is still a big mess in Gentoo and MacPorts, though.  MacPorts
 > > hasn't done anything about ceating a transition infrastructure AFAICT.
 > > Gentoo has its "eselect python set VERSION" stuff, but it's very
 > > dangerous to set to a Python 3 version, as many things go permanently
 > > wonky once you do.  (So far I've been able to work around problems
 > > this creates, but it's not much fun.)
 >
 > Problems like what?

Like those I explained later in the post, which you cut.  But I'll
repeat.  Some ebuilds are not prepared for Python 3, so must be
emerged with a Python 2 eselected (and sometimes they need a specific
Python 2).  Some which are prepared don't get linted often enough, so
new ebuilds are DOA because of an accented character in a changelog
triggering a Unicode exception or similar dumb things like that.

 > > I don't have any connections to the distros, so can't really offer to
 > > help directly.  I think it might be a good idea for users to lobby
 > > (politely!)  their distros to work on the transition.
 >
 > Please create a connection to your distro by filing bugs as you
 > encounter them?

No, thank you.  File bugs, maybe, although most of the bugs I
encounter in Gentoo are already in the database (often with multiple
regressions going back a year or more), I could do a little more of
that.  (Response in the past has not been encouraging.)  But I don't
have time for distro politics.

Is lack of Python 3-readiness considered a bug by Gentoo?