[Python-Dev] Is Python insider blog dead?

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at haypocalc.com
Wed Nov 16 14:41:37 CET 2011

Le Mercredi 16 Novembre 2011 07:23:03 Brian Curtin a écrit :
> Not dead, there was just a period where I got a little too busy with real
> life, plus development seemed to slow down for a while. I have a few drafts
> working (like a post on all of the recent PEP activity) and a few more in
> my head, but I'd like for it to not be a one-man show :)

Some interesting topics for this blog:

 - recent implemented PEP: 393 (Unicode) and 3151 (exceptions)
 - sys.platform and Linux 3
 - deprecation of bytes filename on Windows

For PEP 393, I still have a question: does old module benefit of the memory
reduction or not? If a string is created using the old API, it only uses a
wchar_t* buffer. When the string is read using the new API, it is converted to
use the best storage (UCS 1/2/4) and the wchar_t* buffer is freed, so the
memory consumption is reduced. The problem is maybe if you access the string
again using the old API: Python recreates the wchar_t* buffer and so the string
has two storages (double memory usage which is worse than Python 3.2). But I
don't understand if this case can happen or not.

FYI I added a "Deprecated" section to the What's New in Python 3.3 document:
http://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/3.3.html#deprecated-modules-functions-and-
methods.

Victor