[Python-Dev] PEP 405 (proposed): Python 2.8 Release Schedule

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Nov 9 20:59:56 CET 2011

On 11/9/2011 11:14 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> I think we should have an official pronouncement about Python 2.8,

http://python.org/download/releases/2.7.2/ (and similar) already say:
The Python 2.7 series is scheduled to be the last major version in the
2.x series before 2.x moves into an extended maintenance period.

If Guido is ready to "pound the final nail in the coffin", delete
'scheduled to be', and change "series before 2.x moves into" to "series.
2.x is in", fine with me. I am not sure a PEP is also needed, but OK,
with revision.

> and PEPs are as official as it gets 'round here.
 > Thus I propose the following.  If there are no objections<wink>,

There are ;-). The title is misleading, and the whole thing reads like
an April Fools Joke. If I were looking for information, I would be
slightly annoyed.

> PEP: 405
> Title: Python 2.8 Release Schedule

Title: Python 2.8 Will Never Happen

tells anyone searching what they need to know immediately. They would
only need to click on a link if they wanted to know 'why'.

> Version: $Revision$
> Last-Modified: $Date$
> Author: Barry Warsaw<barry at python.org>

Guido should be the first author.

> Type: Informational

So let us be informative from the title on.

> Created: 2011-11-09
> Python-Version: 2.8
>
> Abstract
> ========
>
> This document describes the development and release schedule for Python 2.8.

More non-informative teasing. Instead, I suggest replacing everything
with short, sweet, and informative.

Rationale
=========

For backward-compatibility reasons, the Python 2 series is burdened with
several obsolete and duplicate features that were removed in Python 3.
In addition, the primary character set was expanded from ascii to
unicode. While bug fixes continue for 2.7, new developments go into
Python 3.x versions.

--
Terry Jan Reedy