[Python-Dev] ints not overflowing into longs?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Nov 3 03:41:30 CET 2011

Apparently Macports is still using a buggy compiler. I reported a
similar issue before and got this reply from Ned Delly:

"""
Thanks for the pointer.  That looks like a duplicate of Issue11149 (and
Issue12701).  Another manifestation of this was reported in Issue13061
which also originated from MacPorts.  I'll remind them that the
configure change is likely needed for all Pythons.  It's still safest to
stick with good old gcc-4.2 on OS X at the moment.
"""

(Those issues are on bugs.python.org.)

--Guido

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 7:32 PM, Derek Shockey <derek.shockey at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just found an unexpected behavior and I'm wondering if it is a bug.
> In my 2.7.2 interpreter on OS X, built and installed via MacPorts, it
> appears that integers are not correctly overflowing into longs and
> instead are yielding bizarre results. I can only reproduce this when
> using the exponent operator with two ints (declaring either operand
> explicitly as long prevents the behavior).

> 0
> 1267650600228229401496703205376L

> -2101438300051996672
> 104857600000000000000000000L

> 7766279631452241920
> 100000000000000000000L
>
> To confirm I'm not crazy, I tried in the 2.7.1 and 2.6.7 installations
> included in OS X 10.7, and also a 2.7.2+ (not sure what the + is) on
> an Ubuntu machine and didn't see this behavior. This looks like some
> kind of truncation error, but I don't know much about the internals of
> Python and have no idea what's going on. I assume since it's only in
> my MacPorts installation, it must be build configuration issue that is
> specific to OS X, perhaps only 10.7, or MacPorts.
>
> Am I doing something wrong, and is there a way to fix it before I
> compile? I could find any references to this problem as a known issue.
>
> Thanks,
> Derek

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)