[Python-Dev] sprints and pushes

Eli Bendersky eliben at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 17:36:15 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 16:33, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 08:46:37 -0400
> Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >  > That doesn't work so well at a sprint, where the point is to
> maximize
> > >  > the value of precious face-time to get stuff done *now*.
> > >
> > > That's where the D in DVCS comes in.  It's a new world, friends.  All
> > > you need to do is bring a $50 wireless router to the sprint, and have
> > > some volunteer set up a shared repo for the sprinters.  Then some
> > > volunteer *later* runs the tests and pilots the patches into the
> > > public repo.  Where's the latency?
> >
> > The current full test suite is punishingly expensive to run, sprint or
> > not.  Because of that fact, people will defer running it, and sometimes
> > forget.  Trying to require that people run it repeatedly during a push
> > race is just Canute lashing the waves.
>
> Punishingly expensive?
> You have to remember that Python is an entire programming language with
> its standard library, used by millions of people. That its test suite
> can run on 4 minutes on a modern computer actually makes it rather
> "fast" IMO (and, perhaps, incomplete...).

+1
Having experience running [= suffering from] multiple-hour (and sometimes
weekend-long) tests for some systems, Python's test suite feels slender.
Even surprisingly so. I often wonder how such a relatively short set of
tests can exercise a project as big and full of functionality as Python with
its whole standard library.

Eli