[Python-Dev] I am now lost - committed, pulled, merged, what is "collapse"?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Wed Mar 23 04:39:32 CET 2011

    Dirkjan> The right solution here is to use different clones for
    Dirkjan> different projects/areas. The proposed interpreter/stdlib
    Dirkjan> split, for example, might reduce contention (although I imagine
    Dirkjan> it would reduce it only by a little bit?).

How about splitting the documentation and the code into separate
repositories (I believe that is the proper term, though perhaps "clone" is -
Dirkjan is the expert)?

Moving onto something related, but different, I find that people bandy about
terms which I just can't seem to find defined very well anywhere I've
looked.  The Mercurial Glossary (http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/Glossary)
would seem to be the obvious place to look, but it doesn't define the terms
"branch" or "clone" (nor does it obviously differentiate a "named branch"
from any other kind of "branch").  I hesitate to overload those words with
the meanings I've acquired using Subversion and CVS, because they will
probably be wrong in subtle ways.  Also, "rebase" is not defined in the
glossary.

There are clearly lots of Mercurial-related documents on the web.  There is
no editorial  review of their quality other than Google page rank.  Is there a
prioritized list of stuff one should read?

Again, I reveal my ignorance with stunning alacrity.  My apologies to the
experts.

>From Joel Spolsky:

    If you've been using Subversion, Mercurial is going to be confusing.

Got that right...

Skip