[Python-Dev] Hg: inter-branch workflow

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 11:16:47 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 8:35 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> Well, it's "should", not "must" ;)
>> When writing this, I had in mind that other projects have different
>> workflows, where indeed people never collapse and many tiny changesets
>> (which are only significant as part of a bigger work) end up in the main
>> history. The point is to signal that it's not how we work.
>
> Having to be nitpicking here "not how you (Antoine) want us to work".
> "We" aren't using mercurial long enough to make such a statement.
>
> I still propose to loosen this restriction, and go with that for a
> while. Perhaps improve the email hook to give more condensed reports.
> If people then complain about too much fine-grainedness, we could
> tighten it again.

I think our experience from the sprints was enough to realise that
wording couldn't realistically mean "never do micro commits". If you
commit something, then notice a typo, or that you forgot to update
NEWS or ACKS, then sure, go ahead and push the main commit along with
any small cleanups and merges that were needed.

It was more designed to say "please land big changes as a single
coherent patch, not as a long series of experimentation and
micro-commits".

So "SHOULD" is the right word - we really do want to try to keep
things to coherent patches, but will occasionally have small cleanup
commits as well. That isn't really any different from the way we
worked with SVN, with later commits to add NEWS entries, fix issue
references, etc when the original commit missed something.

Cheers,
Nick.