[Python-Dev] I am now lost - committed, pulled, merged, what is "collapse"?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Mar 21 18:02:00 CET 2011

Barry Warsaw writes:

 > Actually, I meant something like 'bzr checkout':

No.  Of the DVCSes, only bzr has that.

 > This would allow individual developers to treat the repository in a
 > centralized way like they did for svn, but still allowing other
 > developers to work in a distributed way.

I don't think that is true for Python, because of the "forward
porting" workflow when a patch is relevant to several branches.  They
are still going to have to do a merge, and do it in the right
direction.  I think "checkout" only makes emulation of centralized
workflow trivial in a single-active-branch development model.  I could
be wrong, but offhand I don't see how it would work.