[Python-Dev] I am now lost - committed, pulled, merged, what is "collapse"?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Mar 21 16:38:58 CET 2011

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:25:31 -0400
Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> Does Mercurial have a way of acting like a centralized vcs to the end user,
> the way Bazaar does?  IOW, if Skip or others were more comfortable with a
> centralized workflow (which is entirely valid imo), can they set up their
> local workspace to enable that mode of operation?

I believe something like "hg pull -u && hg ci && hg push" would
emulate such behaviour: it would first put your working copy in sync
with remote, then let you commit, then push your new change.

We cannot emulate "svnmerge" for porting between branches, though - and
I doubt bzr can do it. That's because merges in common DVCSes are based
on the DAG, while svnmerge is a prettily ad-hoc free-form thing.

> If so, the devguide could describe that as a transitional step from the old
> svn way of doing things.

I think we should let things settle a few weeks before starting to
describe more workflows in the devguide.

Regards

Antoine.