[Python-Dev] Hg: inter-branch workflow

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Thu Mar 17 14:24:26 CET 2011

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 11:26:13 +0100, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
> Am 17.03.2011 06:14, schrieb R. David Murray:
> > The fun part comes if there are changesets.  At this point there
> > are two options: go through each of the branches doing an up/merge/ci,
> > and then pull/push.  Or, what I actually do:
> >
> > hg log
> > hg strip <the changeset id of my first checkin>
>
> Uh... wouldn't using the rebase extension make this much easier?

As far as I can tell, rebase and share don't mix, because rebase refers
to the branch of the working directory.  I need to rebase all branches
at once.  (That is, I've got a repo with changes on multiple branches,
and I want to rebase the entire repo...shelve all my changes since the
last pull from cpython, do the pull, and then reapply *all* my changes,
on all branches.)

I tried hg pull --rebase, and that was when I had to rebuild my share
setup, because I have no idea what it did, and it didn't look good.
I can't remember *what* didn't look good, though, so perhaps I should
try it again.

It would be great if rebase did work with share, that would make a
push race basically a non-issue for me.

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com