[Python-Dev] Callable, non-descriptor class attributes.

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Mar 12 23:08:42 CET 2011

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> IIUC Thomas found that this breaks some current use of staticmethod.

I*I*UC, it wasn't making it callable that was the problem,
it was changing the behaviour so that the staticmethod
wrapper returns itself instead of the underlying object
when accessed as a descriptor.

The reason for doing *that* appears to be so that you
can transplant a staticmethod-wrapped object from one
class to another without surprises. But is that really
a common enough thing to do that it warrants special
attention? Would it be so bad to require applying
staticmethod() again in such a situation?

--
Greg