[Python-Dev] Please sync your feature branches

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Sun Mar 6 13:16:17 CET 2011

On 06.03.2011 12:56, Stefan Krah wrote:
> Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
>> > Is that really going to work? I.e. will Mercurial be able to merge from
>> > default to one of the feature branches? If so, what will be the
>> > procedure? What would be the exact steps to try this out on the PEP 382
>> > branch (say)?
>>
>> I've sketched out the steps in
>> http://potrou.net/hgdevguide/committing.html#long-term-development-of-features
>
> First, thanks everyone for converting the active feature branches! - I've
> a couple of questions:
>

> 1) The default branch in the repository features/py3k-cdecimal contains all
> cdecimal changesets. I assume that the recommendation from the devguide to
> create a new named branch inside the new repository does not apply here, so
> I'll use 'default' for future cdecimal changes. Is this correct?

You can also start working on a named branch for easier switching.  Just do a
"hg branch cdecimal".

This assumes that the branch history is not desired to be preserved when the
branch is finished, and just a single patch is committed to the main repo.

> 2) 3.2, 3.1 and legacy-trunk show up as 'inactive' on the command line, but
> not in the web interface. Should these be closed to avoid confusion?

No; "inactive" simply means that the branch currently has no real head, since
all heads have been merged into another branch.  If all developers merge their
changes promptly, it will be the default state of the maintenance branches
except for 2.7.

Georg