[Python-Dev] .hgignore (was: Mercurial conversion repositories)

Tim Delaney timothy.c.delaney at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 14:54:39 CET 2011

On 6 March 2011 00:44, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 13:01:02 -0800, Santoso Wijaya <
> santoso.wijaya at gmail.com> wrote:
> > As a mercurial user, I thank you for this effort! One question, where/how
> do
> > I send suggestion to what to add into .hgignore file? In particular, I
> found
> > these dynamically generated files after a build in Windows (3.2) that
> > probably should be entered as .hgignore entries:
> >
> > ? PC/python_nt_d.h
> > ? PC/pythonnt_rc_d.h
>
> I, on the other hand, would like to see .rej and .orig removed from
> the ignore list.  I don't like having these polluting my working
> directory, and 'hg status' is the easiest way to find them (if
> they aren't ignored).
>
> Or if there's some way to configure my personal .hgrc to ignore
> those particular ignore lines, that would be fine too :)

If those were to be removed from .hgignore then there would be a high
likelihood of someone doing "hg addremove" and inadvertently tracking them.
The purpose of .hgignore is to prevent inadventently tracking files that
shouldn't be tracked.

"hg status  -i" will list all ignored files that are present in your working
directory. For other options, "hg help status".

Tim Delaney