[Python-Dev] [PEPs] Support the /usr/bin/python2 symlink upstream

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Mar 4 20:14:35 CET 2011

Is there any discussion still going on about the details of the PEP
(now PEP 394)? I'm in favor of the general idea. What about Windows? I
think it should be the same there if possible.

The only thing I note is that the PEP doesn't explicitly state (unless
I missed it) that "python" should invoke the same Python binary as
either "python2" or "python3" and not some other version of Python
{2,3}.x (at least not until python4 is being considered :-).
Similarly, python2 and python3 should refer to one of the existing
python2.x or python3.x binary and not some other one.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)