[Python-Dev] Keeping __init__.py empty for Python packages used for module grouping.

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Mon Jan 24 21:14:44 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Raymond Hettinger
<raymond.hettinger at gmail.com> wrote:
> ISTM, that if we're going to use python packages as "namespace containers" for
> categorizing modules, then the top level __init__ namespace should be left empty.

This is only an issue if the separate components are distributed
separately; for the standard library, we're not using it as a
namespace package in the same sense that is done with (for example)
the "zope" package.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.    <fdrake at acm.org>
"A storm broke loose in my mind."  --Albert Einstein