[Python-Dev] devguide: Cover how to (un-)apply a patch.

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Jan 19 15:54:37 CET 2011

Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 01:23:26 +1100
> Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
>> skip at pobox.com wrote:
>>
>>> I realize the world is passing me by and that I'm rapidly turning into a
>>> dinosaur w.r.t. distributed version control, but as you write/update the
>>> developer's guide remember that proficiency in Python does not necessarily
>>> equate to proficiency in version control systems, especially with the less
>>> frequently used commands.  I personally would prefer that more general
>>> commands and concepts be used where possible so that newcomers not be put
>>> off unnecessarily by the complexity of version control.
>> What he said, only bolded and underlined.
>
> I'm not sure what the issue is. Is there something, concretely, that
> needs to be fixed?

You'll have to ask Skip if he thinks there's a concrete problem. I
haven't seen one, but I've only been reading this thread with one eye
and it may be I've missed the mother of all problems.

The (non-concrete) issue, as I understand it, is simple: be aware that
not all Python developers are necessarily expert in DVCSes, and please
keep it simple.

--
Steven