[Python-Dev] Moving stuff out of Misc and over to the devguide

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Jan 18 01:17:36 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 14:41, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 6:54 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
>>
>> Well it *is* inconvenient in the case of maintainers.rst, which is
>> often consulted casually for daily bug tracker work. Grepping
>> Misc/maintainers.rst is much easier than first having to find again
>> where your checkout of the devguide is, and ensuring it is up-to-date.
>>
>> Also, I see no need to put the maintainers list in the dev guide,
>> actually.
>
> Every time I see someone syncing the version-independent maintainers
> list across branches a little alarm bell goes off in my head to say
> that file should be somewhere other than the main source tree.

Ditto for me.

> It's also quite possible that once the maintainer list is part of the
> dev guide, triagers will start using the official copy on python.org
> and the search function in their web browser rather than running grep
> over a source checkout.
>
> So moving the version-independent stuff certainly makes sense, but the
> stuff that is dependent on a particular version's build system is more
> questionable. What may make sense is for the devguide to describe the
> general contents of the files in Misc, but point out that for any
> given version, the version specific details in Misc take precedence.

I am not describing what is in Misc.

It comes down to a question of whether any core dev-specific stuff
should be in Misc that is not a configuration file or not. I say no,
that the directory should contain stuff that applies to everyone and
not specifically to core devs.

-Brett

-Brett