[Python-Dev] "unit test needed"

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 20:48:16 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Éric Araujo <merwok at netwok.org> wrote:
>>> +1 to rename it “test needed”
>>> +1 to remove it
>
> I meant either one would be an improvement.

+1 to remove it

Let's remove it first, an then decide if another stage is necessary.
The problems with "unit test needed" is that

1. It is not clear whether unit tests should be written before or
after a patch and thus once a bug is acknowledged as valid, what an
appropriate stage should be.

2. For a bug that needs confirmation as being reproducible, it
suggests that familiarity with unit test framework in necessary to
move the issue forward.  In fact, in many cases a short stand-alone
script is more helpful than a Lib/test patch.

I think "patch needed" is a good enough first stage.  For bugs it
should be set when there is a rough consensus that the behavior is a
bug and for RFEs, it should be set when a decision to include cannot
be made without an implementation.

While there is no agreement on whether the bug is valid or whether an
RFE makes any sense, the stage can stay undefined.