[Python-Dev] API refactoring tracker field for Python4

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Jan 7 20:22:04 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Michael Foord
<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> On 07/01/2011 19:11, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Alexander Belopolsky
>> <alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> -1 on the "star system" for the tracker
>>
>> The tracker on Google Code uses stars. We use this tracker to track
>> external App Engine issues. It works very well to measure how
>> widespread a particular issue or need is (even if we don't always fix
>> the highest-star issues first -- the top issues are "unfixable" like
>> PHP support :-).
>>
>> Maybe it works because in that tracker, a star means you get emailed
>> when the issue is updated; this makes people think twice before
>> frivolously adding a star. This is not quite the same as the "nosy"
>> list: adding a star is less work in the UI, you don't have to think up
>> something meaningful to say, and no email is generated merely because
>> someone adds or removes a star.
>>
> In our issue tracker it is more or less the same. Adding yourself as nosy
> sends you emails when it is updated and there is a convenient button for
> adding yourself as nosy without having to think up a meaningful comment.

Ah, that must be new -- I didn't realize that. Nice. Now I also want a
button to *remove* myself from the nosy list.

(Of course, a better UI for adding/removing yourself could be a star.
Clicking the star changes your nosy status. It should work
immediately, unlike the existing [+] button.)

> The only (sometimes annoying but sometimes useful or interesting) difference
> is that you also get emailed when someone else adds themselves as nosy.

Maybe that could be fixed? Then the remaining feature would be a way
to sort issue lists by number of nosy people, and to display the
length of the nosy list.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)