[Python-Dev] API refactoring tracker field for Python4

Brian Curtin brian.curtin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 19:39:34 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 12:14, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 7:41 PM, Brian Curtin <brian.curtin at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> This mostly because of limitation of our tracker and desire of people
> >> to extend it to get damn "stars", module split, sorting, digging and
> >> tagging options.
> >
> > I have no idea what any of this means.
>
> Stars:
>  go http://code.google.com/p/support/issues/list
>  find Stars column
>  guess

This reminds me of my inbox, where I star emails all the time and do
absolutely nothing different to them compared to non-starred emails. I
personally don't see the need for that, so that's a -1 for me.

> Module split:
>  try to get all issues for 'os' module

No solution for this right now, but people have suggested that we add
drop-downs for each module. I'm -0 on that.

>  try to subscribe to all commits for 'CGIHTTPServer'

You can subscribe to the python-checkins mailing list and create a filter
that looks for whatever you want.

> Sorting:
>  click on column titles in bug tracker search results

This could probably be solved with a patch to our Roundup instance.

> Tagging:
>  as a tracker user, try to add tag 'easy' to some easy issue

You probably need escalated privileges for this. If you can't change it, you
can always request on the issue that a field be changed.

> >> I won't be surprised if things won't change in the next couple of
> >> years, that's why I'd like to propose a very small change, so that
> >> when time will come to create Python4 (and standard library won't be
> >> separated from interpreter by this time), everybody can get quickly
> >> get a list of proposed API enhancements and filter which are eligible
> >> for the next BC API break. This change is a simple "api-refactoring"
> >> flag that could be added to corresponding issues by tracker users.
> >
> > I'm not sure I see the need for such a flag, as there are probably too
> few
> > cases for this in the first place.
>
> I haven't started using Python 3 yet, but I already know some annoying
> API issues that are not fixed there. Unfortunately, I don't remember
> them to give you a list. That's why I asked for a flag.

If you haven't used it yet, then how are you already annoyed...?