[Python-Dev] Possible optimization for LOAD_FAST ?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Jan 5 00:39:49 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> The only examples I could find from a quick search (using the patch
> decorator from my mock module which is reasonably well used) patch
> __builtins__.open and raw_input.
>
> https://www.google.com/codesearch?hl=en&lr=&q=%22patch%28%27__builtin__.%22+lang%3Apython+case%3Ayes

So, that significantly weakens the argument that this optimization
will break unit tests, since I am happy to promise never to optimize
these builtins, and any other builtins intended for I/O.

Surely it will break *somebody's* code. That hasn't stopped us with
other changes. The crux is whether it breaks significant amounts of
code or code that would be really hard to write in another way.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)