[Python-Dev] devguide: More clarifications: use the term 'working copy' and mention 'hg update'.

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Wed Feb 9 23:57:48 CET 2011

Le 09/02/2011 23:49, Brett Cannon a écrit :
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 12:29, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
>>> -To get a read-only checkout of CPython's source, you need to checkout the source
>>> -code. To get a read-only checkout of
>>> +To get a read-only checkout of CPython's source, you need a working copy the
>>> +source code. To get a read-only checkout of

“you need a working copy the source code” → “you need to clone the
source code repository” (see below for more)

>> Why talk about "checkout" at all? It's an SVN/CVS/RCS term, if I'm not
>> mistaken (even though it may occasionally be used with hg, it's a
>> synonym of "working copy" there).
> Since it's a synonym I didn't worry about it. I honestly just thought
> it flowed better.

Agreed.  The problem is that the terms do not map 1:1 from Subversion.
When Subversion docs talk about getting a checkout, Mercurial tells to
make a clone (which includes the working copy); in other cases, a strict
distinction between repository and working copy is needed.  I see no
problems in using checkout when it flows better than working copy
(especially as a verb).

Sincerely hoping I don’t make things more confusing,
Regards