[Python-Dev] A new dict for Xmas?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Dec 23 09:57:01 CET 2011

Am 22.12.2011 19:15, schrieb Maciej Fijalkowski:
>> - I wonder whether the shared keys could be computed at compile
>>  time, considering all attribute names that get assigned for
>>  self. The compiler could list those in the code object, and
>>  class creation could iterate over all methods (taking base
>>  classes into account).
>
> This is hard, because sometimes you don't quite know what the self
> *is* even, especially if __init__ calls some methods or there is any
> sort of control flow. You can however track what gets assigned at
> runtime at have shapes associated with objects.

Actually, it's fairly easy, as it only needs to be heuristical.
I am proposing the exact heuristics as specified above ("attribute
names that get assigned for self").

I don't think that __init__ calling methods is much of an issue here,
since these methods then still have attributes assigned to self.

Regards,
Martin