[Python-Dev] Anyone still using Python 2.5?

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Dec 22 02:49:37 CET 2011

On 22 Dec 2011, at 01:25, Mark Hammond wrote:

> FWIW, the most recent version of pywin32 has the following download counts (rounded to the nearest thousand)
>
> Version 32bit       64bit
> -------------------------
> 3.2 -  75,000       9,000
> 3.1 -   4,000       1,000
> 2.7 - 126,000      16,000
> 2.6 -  46,000       6,000
> 2.5 -  21,000         n/a
> 2.4 -   3,000         n/a
> 2.3 -   1,000         n/a
>
> So ISTM that 2.5 isn't hugely popular these days, but also isn't insignificant.  It probably means I could "safely" drop 2.3 and 2.4 support though...

These figures can't possibly be true. No-one is using Python 3 yet. ;-)

FWIW I heard a few days ago about a UK government department, HMGCC (Her Majesty's Government Communication Centre - based in Milton Keynes), who use Python for research projects. They switched to using Python 3 a while ago.

All the best,

Michael Foord