[Python-Dev] readd u'' literal support in 3.3?

Stephan Richter stephan.richter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 12:05:51 CET 2011

On Thursday, December 08, 2011 01:18:06 AM Benjamin Peterson wrote:
> > Right.. the title does say "readd ... support in 3.3".  Are you
> > suggesting "the ship has sailed" for eternity because it can't be
> > supported in Python < 3.3?
>
> I'm questioning the real utility of it.

The real utility is to make it possible to port libraries to Py3 or at least
make it a lot easier. It is somewhat naive to think that you can just tell
everyone to upgrade to Python 2.7 and then use the future import. Having to
change all that code can also be a big bug magnet.

Chris has been a great champion of bringing the Web app community closer to
Python 3. His experience with porting code is pretty extensive especially in
keeping it compatible with older Pythonn 2 versions (down to 2.5).

If the Python Devs want more adoption of Python 3, they should at least throw
a bone from time to time and make adoption a bit easier. The arguments against
this proposal seem academic and purist to me. (Mmh, I cannot believe I just
wrote that having been accused of that myself in the past.)

Regards,
Stephan
--
Entrepreneur and Software Geek