[Python-Dev] Python 3 optimizations continued...

Cesare Di Mauro cesare.di.mauro at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 22:18:08 CEST 2011

2011/8/31 Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org>

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 10:04 PM, Cesare Di Mauro
> <cesare.di.mauro at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It isn't, because motivation to do something new with CPython vanishes,
> at
> > least on some areas (virtual machine / ceval.c), even having some ideas
> > experiment with. That's why in my last talk on EuroPython I decided to
> move
> > on other areas (Python objects).
>
> Cesare, I'm really sorry that you became so disillusioned that you
> abandoned wordcode. I agree that we were too optimistic about Unladen
> Swallow. Also that the existence of PyPy and its PR machine (:-)
> should not stop us from improving CPython.

I never stopped thinking about new optimization. A lot can be made on
CPython, even without resorting to something like JIT et all.

> I'm wondering if, with your experience in creating WPython, you could
> review Stefan Brunthaler's code and approach (once he's put it up for
> review) and possibly the two of you could even work on a joint
> project?
>
> --
> --Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)

Yes, I can. I'll wait for Stefan to update its source (reaching Python 3.2
at least) as he has intended to do, and that everything is published, in
order to review the code.

I also agree with you that right now it doesn't need to look as
state-of-the-art. First make it work, then make it nicer. ;)

Regards,
Cesare