[Python-Dev] Python 3 optimizations continued...

Mark Shannon mark at hotpy.org
Tue Aug 30 10:31:12 CEST 2011

Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 7:14 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 11:33:14 -0700
>> stefan brunthaler <s.brunthaler at uci.edu> wrote:
>>> * The optimized dispatch routine has a changed instruction format
>>> (word-sized instead of bytecodes) that allows for regular instruction
>>> decoding (without the HAS_ARG-check) and inlinind of some objects in
>>> the instruction format on 64bit architectures.
>> Having a word-sized "bytecode" format would probably be acceptable in
>> itself, so if you want to submit a patch for that, go ahead.
>
> Although any such patch should discuss how it compares with Cesare's
> work on wpython.
>
> Personally, I *like* CPython fitting into the "simple-and-portable"
> niche in the Python interpreter space.

CPython has a a large number of micro-optimisations, scattered all of
the code base. By removing these and adding large-scale optimisations,
like Stephan's, the code base *might* actually get smaller overall (and
thus simpler) *and* faster.
Of course, CPython must remain portable.

[snip]

> At a bare minimum, I don't think any significant changes should be
> made under the "it will be faster" justification until the bulk of the
> real-world benchmark suite used for speed.pypy.org is available for
> Python 3. (Wasn't there a GSoC project about that?)

+1

Cheers,
Mark.