[Python-Dev] Should we move to replace re with regex?

Ezio Melotti ezio.melotti at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 13:12:20 CEST 2011

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 7:28 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> Are you volunteering? (Even if you don't want to be the only
> maintainer, it still sounds like you'd be a good co-maintainer of the
> regex module.)

My name is listed in the experts index for 're' [0], and that should make me
already "co-maintainer" for the module.

> [...]
>
> >   4) add documentation for the module and the (public) functions in
> > Doc/library (this should be done anyway).
>
> Does regex have a significany public C interface? (_sre.c doesn't.)
> Does it have a Python-level interface beyond what re.py offers (apart
> from the obvious new flags and new regex syntax/semantics)?

I don't think it does.
Explaining the new syntax/semantics is useful for developers (e.g.what \p
and \X are supposed to match), but also for users, so it's fine to have this
documented in Doc/library/re.rst (and I don't think it's necessary to
duplicate it in the README/PEP/Wiki).

> > This will ensure that the general quality of the code is good, and when
> > someone actually has to work on the code, there's enough documentation to
> > make it possible.
>
> That sounds like a good description of a process that could lead to
> acceptance of regex as a re replacement.

So if we want to get this done I think we need Matthew for 1) (unless
someone else wants to do it and have him review the result).
If making a diff with the current re is doable and makes sense, we can use
the rietveld instance on the bug tracker to make the review for 2).  The
same could be done with a diff that replaces the whole module though.
3) will follow after 2), and 4) is not difficult and can be done when we
actually replace re (it's probably enough to reorganize a bit and convert to
rst the page on PyPI).

Best Regards,
Ezio Melotti

[0]: http://docs.python.org/devguide/experts.html#stdlib