[Python-Dev] LZMA compression support in 3.3

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 00:14:15 CEST 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Nadeem Vawda <nadeem.vawda at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 10:41 PM, Dan Stromberg <drsalists at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > It seems like there should be some way of coming up with an xml file
> > describing the types of the various bits of data and formal arguments -
> > perhaps using gccxml or something like it.
>
> The problem is that you would need to do this check at runtime, every time
> you load up the library - otherwise, what happens if the user upgrades
> their installed copy of liblzma? And we can't expect users to have the
> liblzma headers installed, so we'd have to try and figure out whether the
> library was ABI-compatible from the shared object alone; I doubt that this
> is even possible.

I was thinking about this as I was getting groceries a bit ago.

Why -can't- we expect the user to have liblzma headers installed?  Couldn't
it just be a dependency in the package management system?

BTW, gcc-xml seems to be only for C++ (?), but long ago, around the time
people were switching from K&R to Ansi C, there were programs like
"mkptypes" that could parse a .c/.h and output prototypes.  It seems we
could do something like this on module init.

IMO, we really, really need some common way of accessing C libraries that
works for all major Python variants.