[Python-Dev] PEP 393 Summer of Code Project

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Aug 23 00:14:40 CEST 2011

Hello,

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:58:51 -0400
Torsten Becker <torsten.becker at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have implemented an initial version of PEP 393 -- "Flexible String
> Representation" as part of my Google Summer of Code project.  My patch
> is hosted as a repository on bitbucket [1] and I created a related
> issue on the bug tracker [2].  I posted documentation for the current
> state of the development in the wiki [3].

A couple of minor comments:

- “The UTF-8 decoding fast path for ASCII only characters was removed
  and replaced with a memcpy if the entire string is ASCII.”
  The fast path would still be useful for mostly-ASCII strings, which
  are extremely common (unless UTF-8 has become a no-op?).

- You could trim the debug results from the benchmark results, this may
  make them more readable.

- You could try to run stringbench, which can be found at
  http://svn.python.org/projects/sandbox/trunk/stringbench (*)
  and there's iobench (the text mode benchmarks) in the Tools/iobench
  directory.

(*) (yes, apparently we forgot to convert this one to Mercurial)

Regards

Antoine.