[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] cpython (3.2): Use real word in English text (i.e. not code)

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Fri Aug 12 19:17:20 CEST 2011

Hi,

>> summary:
>>    Use real word in English text (i.e. not code)
> I agree that 'arg' for 'argument is email/twitter-speak, not proper
> document prose.

>> -   :synopsis: Command-line option and argument-parsing library.
>> +   :synopsis: Command-line option and argument parsing library.
> However, 'argument-parsing' could/should be left hyphenated as a
> compound adjective for the same reason 'command-line' is.

With all due respect to the fact that you’re a native speaker and I’m
not, here I disagree because I parse the sentence in this way (using
parens to group things by precedence, if you want):

(((command-line (option and argument)) parsing) library)

To paraphrase, it’s a library to parse options and arguments from the
command line, not a library to parse arguments and (missing verb-ing)
options from the command line.  (I’m not sure I’m clear.)

> An arg you missed
Yes, I looked for all instances of args but not arg.  Will do.

Regards