[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] cpython: PyGILState_Ensure(), PyGILState_Release(), PyGILState_GetThisThreadState() are

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at haypocalc.com
Sat Apr 30 14:06:33 CEST 2011

Le mercredi 27 avril 2011 à 20:18 -0400, Jim Jewett a écrit :
> Would it be a problem to make them available a no-ops?
>
> On 4/26/11, victor.stinner <python-checkins at python.org> wrote:
> > http://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/75503c26a17f
> > changeset:   69584:75503c26a17f
> > user:        Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at haypocalc.com>
> > date:        Tue Apr 26 23:34:58 2011 +0200
> > summary:
> >   PyGILState_Ensure(), PyGILState_Release(), PyGILState_GetThisThreadState()
> > are
> > not available if Python is compiled without threads.

Oh, I realized that PyGILState_STATE may also be included only if Python
is compiled with threads.

--

PyGILState_Ensure() and PyGILState_Release() could be no-op yes, it
would simplify the usage of these functions. For example:

#ifdef WITH_THREAD
        PyGILState_STATE gil;
#endif
        fprintf(stderr, "object  : ");
#ifdef WITH_THREAD
        gil = PyGILState_Ensure();
#endif
        (void)PyObject_Print(op, stderr, 0);
#ifdef WITH_THREAD
        PyGILState_Release(gil);
#endif

--

Even without threads, a Python process has a PyThreadState structure, so
PyGILState_GetThisThreadState() can be patched to work even if Python is

--

Would you like to work on such patch? Or at least open an issue?

Victor